IHC C-Line 1934-1936 | Octane Press

IHC C-Line 1934-1936

The Lost Chapter Part 5: A Milestone Year

This material was discovered during the research for the International Scout Encyclopedia by Jim Allen and John Glancy. For this series Author and historian Jim Allen is sharing extra material that didn’t make the book, along with photographs from John Glancy’s extensive collection.

For 1934 the International Harvester Company made even more stylish moves with the C-line trucks. The C-1 half-ton debuted in the early part of 1934, and over a three year run 74,585 C-1 trucks were sold. It was powered by the former Willys 213 flathead that International Harvester Company (IHC) called the HD (later known as the Green Diamond). The ’35-‘37 C-5 was identical to the C-1 but, to entice the economy-minded buyer, mounted a 33 hp 133 ci Waukesha model FC four-cylinder engine. Along the same lines the economy C-10 one-ton mounted the 186 ci Waukesha XAH four while the one-ton C-15 mounted the 213 ci HD six.
Image of an IHC C-Line Truck
To satisfy the buyer who valued thrift over performance IHC even offered ton-and-a-half trucks in this era running the XAH four.  The C-Line contained a gigantic array of trucks, from the little half-tonners up through three-quarter and one tons, all the way up to the seven-ton C-55-T. The lighter-duty models were the standouts in this era for being at the leading edge of the growing light truck styling wars. The 1935 C-1 was one of IHC’s earliest light duty, half-ton trucks. Powered by a 213 ci six, it was actually a sprightly beast and was fully competitive in the light truck market of the era. At the end of this era IHC would reach a milestone, producing 100,000 trucks of all types for the 1936 model year.

The Lost Chapter is from Jim Allen and John Glancy's upcoming book, one so thorough it couldn't all fit in the final cut, so if you enjoyed this post check out the International Scout Encyclopedia for the full story.  

​Previous Lost Chapter-Next Lost Chapter
facebook Twitter LinkedIn